Friday, April 11, 2014

The Real & Dirty on Military Life

I’ve been following Lauren’s blog for a while now, and when the opportunity came up to be a “guest blogger” on her wonderful little piece of the internet, I got really excited! Although she is an Army wife, and I’m a Marine wife, I find that as military spouses, we have a lot more in common than with the “civilian spouses” of the world. That’s what brings us together as milspo (short for military spouse) bloggers. We share our stories about this crazy, uncertain, and hectic life, and it’s always nice to know that I’m not the only one going through the pains of military life. 

We often share stories of separations, deployments, new duty stations, solo parenting, etc. etc. etc. The list of responsibilities that come on the plate of a military spouse is long. It wasn’t until recently, after I got out of the Marine Corps myself that I realized just how demanding this job of being a military spouse can be. There are seriously days when I think my deployments overseas were easier than this life! I was talking to a counselor the other day who has spent a majority of her career counseling military families, and she said, a lot of people “down grade” the spouses and families being put through this life. They have the mentality that "we need to take care of our military” because they come back with combat stress, etc. They forget that the families deal with the things the military member comes back with, the families have to deal with reintegration, the families have to deal with the uncertainty of this life. The families ultimately put up with a lot for the military member that they love!

I don’t want to go off on a tangent, but I think it’s important for people to recognize that the families that stand behind these heroes aren’t just sitting at home on our butts all day. That’s what I love about the blogging community, and specifically the military spouse bloggers. They really put themselves out there to open our eyes about what life REALLY is. I always say that a lot of people have this idea about military life as a “glamorous fairy tale”. They see the tear jerking homecoming videos. They see the handsome uniform. They see the fancy balls that we attend. They see the “heroes salutes”. There’s a “real and dirty” part of this life that no one wants to see. We’ve been a country at war for over a decade now, and I think people are tired of seeing the ugly part of this life. They want to see the happy, and it’s understandable.

I’m ultimately thankful for my life. The good. The bad. The ugly. At the end of the day, I married a man that I love more than anything, respect above all, and admire his passion for his job. Just having that (plus our two beautiful children), is worth this life. It’s just always nice to have some support, even if it’s just through a group of bloggers.

This is a photo from a homecoming my husband’s first deployment to Afghanistan. I smile every time I see this photo, because the feeling of a homecoming is something that is indescribable. It’s a feeling that ONLY a military family could truly understand the magnitude of.


I love Hana and her awesome blog Domesticated Combat Boots.  Please check her out and send some love!! 
Domesticated Combat Boots




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave your contact information, email, and/or blog address so I can return the comment favor. Thanks! -Lauren

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...