Friday, May 23, 2014

Koreadventures: Part III

I love to shop, and thankfully, so does South Korea!! I was expecting to find the typical tourist trap, kitschy places filled with post cards and overpriced consumer products, which, are great to an extent.  But I am so thankful that we ventured off into the more traditionally Korean markets to find some of the things that are going to decorate our new place in a few months!

 
But you absolutely must bring your own gigantic shopping bag if you plan to hit the markets, especially multiples in one day.  Lesson learned the hard way, which, of course, FM and I felt in our necks, shoulders, and backs the next day after lugging our treasures throughout the streets of Seoul!

Taking a breather in between markets with
the giant bag of loot!
Namdaemun market was by far the largest, and by farther my favorite, of the whole trip.  There was not much this labyrinth of fabulous goodies couldn’t provide for you if you searched hard enough, and I can’t even tell you how much cheaper things were than your typical store. I could have stayed there for days, but I get the sense they would frown upon that, as did FM, so we had to depart.  I found some amazing things though, including all of my favorite souvenirs for our friends/family and a traditional Korean buckwheat pillow that I can’t wait to try out!


Insadong and Myeongdong markets were also super fun and have a ton of stuff things to see and buy. Both reminded me more of a street fair back here in the States, storefronts open for business, vendors out in the streets, and any kind of Korean fair food you could possibly ever ask for (including the very weird, and very strange… let’s just say, many things were either made of eggs, still alive, or most definitely not quite dead yet and being eaten from a stick).


Speaking of street fairs… well Koreans like those too! We happened to be there at just the right time for the cherry blossom festivals held throughout the country.  Those trees are absolutely stunning in bloom, and I am so happy we had a chance to see it, even if they did pop a little early this year!!  I can’t even do them justice, just look…

And finally, I thought I had a problem with Dollar Tree and being obsessed/in love with it here in the US.  Well, it now has competition when I’m on the Korean peninsula in the form of the Daiso 다이소.  This place was AMAZINGGG with a capital A-zing.  Not only does it have everything you could possibly want ever, at super insanely cheap prices, but it’s pretty much everywhere in Korea.  And the largest store, which of course we HAD to go to, was 5 floors! FIVE! I was in shopping heaven!


Moral of today’s story??: When in Korea, shop ‘til you drop.  You’re going to have a fabulous time doing it too with so many options (this isn’t even the half of it)!!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave your contact information, email, and/or blog address so I can return the comment favor. Thanks! -Lauren

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...